Packed with veggies and full of mini meatballs for protein, this Italian Wedding Soup is sure to warm you up on even the coldest day!
I don’t know about where you are, but it’s cold here. Like really cold. Last night temps went below zero. This time of year it’s supposed to be in the 40’s. Wahhhhhh! #IWantSpring
Anyways, since it’s freezing, I thought now would be a good time to share this Italian Wedding Soup with you guys. I made it about a month ago but I’ve been saving it for a day like today 🙂
I’m a sucker for all things mini, so I love the mini meatballs in this soup, plus orzo is one of my favorite pastas so that’s what I use in my version. Feel free to use whatever tiny pasta makes you happy…you could even use quinoa for a gluten-free version.
Here’s how you make it:
Italian Wedding Soup
Packed with veggies and mini meatballs, this soup is sure to warm you up on even the coldest day!
- 1 cup sliced or chopped carrots
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes, drained (optional)
- 2 cups water
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh Parsley
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup dry orzo
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large dutch oven, saute carrots, onions, peppers and garlic over medium heat for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the meatballs by combining pork, breadcrumbs, egg, parsley and pepper in a small bowl and mixing well with your hands.
- Form into small meatballs and set aside.
- Add broth and water to dutch oven and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, In a skillet, brown meatballs on all sides over high heat.
- Add meatballs and orzo to boiling pot, cover and reduce heat to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add spinach and stir until wilted.
- Check meatballs and orzo for doneness and serve warm, topped with parmesan cheese if desired
The orzo might absorb some of the liquid if you refrigerate the leftovers, so feel free to add more broth or water before reheating!