Put this Crockpot Cilantro Lime Chicken on the menu for your next Mexican night. Prep ahead of time and stick it in the freezer for a busy week!
Remember a couple of weeks ago when I posted a pic of some freezer meals that I put together during one of my Sunday Food Preps? Well, we’ve been slowly working our way through them and after a couple of fails, we have our first winner to share with you!
Cilantro Lime Chicken
This recipe is kinda similar to the Salsa Chicken recipes you see floating around out there, but I wanted something a little healthier. Most of those recipes use canned beans and corn and a big jar of salsa that’s loaded with sodium. I kept the beans and corn…I like to cook a big batch of dried black beans and freeze them so I always have some on hand. It’s an easy way to cut down on the sodium. However, if you used the canned variety, just look for no salt added. Same thing with the corn! If you can only find low sodium, give them a good rinse before using them.
I added a bunch of cilantro and lime juice for flavor and opted to save the salsa to use as just a topping!
Here’s the recipe:
This is about as easy at it gets, friends! You can serve this as is, or over rice or in a tortilla. Remember that you can make the rice ahead of time and freeze it in a separate bag or make it right before serving.
My crockpot cooks chicken pretty quickly, even on low so 3-4 hours is perfect for me when it’s totally defrosted. If yours is still partially frozen when you stick it in the crockpot, you’ll need to adjust your cooking time accordingly.
Top will all sorts of goodness like salsa, avocado, cheese etc and dig in!
Try this Crockpot Cilantro Lime Chicken from @leangrnbeanblog for your next Mexican night!Click To Tweet
Let’s chat: What’s your favorite make-ahead crockpot meal?
Freezer to Crockpot: Cilantro Lime Chicken
The perfect meal for a busy weeknight. Prep ahead of time and stick in the freezer, then simply defrost, dump in the crockpot and dinner is served!
- 1 pound chicken breasts
- 2 cups black beans, cooked, no salt added
- 1 cup corn kernals, no salt added
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 serrano (or jalapeno) peppers, minced (optional)
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- Optional toppings for serving: salsa, cheese, avocado
- *brown rice- can be cooked ahead of time and frozen or cooked just prior to serving
- Place all ingredients in a large ziploc bag and freeze flat.
- Prior to cooking, defrost over night in the refrigerator or under cold running water.
- Dump contents into the crockpot. Add a little bit of water to the bag, shake it around and add to crockpot to help get some of the cilantro out if it sticks to the bag.
- Cook on low 4-6 hours.
- Shred chicken breasts and serve over rice, as is or in tortillas.