Me again. The contest is still running to determine the next Love Grown Foods Love Bloggers & I could really use your help! Just click here & “like” my photo. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! You guys are seriously the best.
And now, let’s talk cookies!! I’m drowning in them. I’ve been on a bit of a baking kick the last couple days, and as a result, I have six different cookies/bars/Christmas treats to show for it….
Let me tell you a little bit about that. Recently OXO sent me one of their Good Cookie Spatula’s as part of their blogger outreach program (*Disclaimer, I was sent this spatula for free). The Good Cookie Spatula is part of their Cookies for Kids’ Cancer program.
A little bit about the program from their website:
Cookies for Kids’ Cancer was founded by two OXOnians (OXO employees), Gretchen and Larry Witt who were inspired by their son Liam’s battle with pediatric cancer. All forms of pediatric cancer combined claim the lives of more children in the United States than any other disease – more than asthma, muscular dystrophy, multiple sclerosis and AIDS combined.
They were shocked to learn that the main reason over 25% of kids diagnosed with cancer do not survive is because of a lack of effective therapies. And the reason for the lack of effective therapies was simple: lack of funding.
Gretchen and Larry believed that they could impact change – they just needed to state the need and make it easy for people everywhere to get involved. They also knew that, unlike many other parents facing a similar battle, that they had resources at their fingertips. They had to do something.
For two longtime OXOnians, it only seemed natural that their call-to-action was related to the kitchen and to food. In December 2007, Gretchen had an idea that sounded just so crazy it would work – to hold one giant cookie sale to fund a new pediatric cancer treatment. In three weeks, 250 volunteers (many of them their fellow OXO employees) baked and sold 96,000 cookies and raised $400,000.
Sounds like a pretty cool program, right? Wanna get involved? There are several easy ways you help:
1. Buy a good cookie spatula! They sell them at Bed Bath & Beyond and other retailers like Amazon. Click here to find one at a store near you! For just $6.99 you can help fight cancer.
2. Send a virtual cookie to friends and family. OXO will make a donation to each cookie sent.
3. Host a bake sale. You can register your bake sale and donate the proceeds. The cool part?! OXO will match your proceeds up to $100,000.
4. Send Cookies for Kids’ Cancer cookies as gifts. 100% of the profits benefit pediatric cancer research.
So there you have it! Tis the season of giving
And now for the fun part. OXO sent me an extra spatula to pass on to one of you! Perfect for your holiday baking needs…and cute too! To sweeten the deal, I’m gonna throw in some of the cookies I have just hangin’ out on my counter.
Here’s the deal- This is a flash friday giveaway. That means it starts this morning and ends tonight. The winner’s cookies & spatula will be in the mail tomorrow!
Wanna enter? Here’s how:
1. Mandatory- Tell me your favorite cookie of all time. It doesn’t have to be a “Christmas” cookie.
2. Follow me on twitter and leave a comment letting me know you did, or already do.
3. Tweet the following: Check it out! @LeanGrnBeanBlog is having a flash friday giveaway. Enter to win an @OXO good cookie spatula + cookies! http://www.theleangreenbean.com/flash-friday-giveaway/” and leave a separate comment telling me you tweeted.
That’s all. Short & sweet like this giveaway
*Open to US residents only. Winner will be chosen via random.org at 9pm EST on December 9th, 2011. If I don’t hear from them by 9am Saturday December 10th, I’ll pick a new winner so I can get the cookies in the mail!