Elf For Health is back for another year and it’s time to kick things off! There have been some changes this year so please read this post carefully if you’ve participated in the past because I don’t want there to be any confusion.
As you guys know, four years ago I started this Elf 4 Health Challenge with fellow RD Elle of According to Elle (formerly Nutritionella). Our goal was to promote health and wellness during the holidays, a time when healthy habits tend to fall to the wayside.
This year, Elle is going to be busy with a new little bundle of joy so I’ve got myself an awesome new co-host. Meet Georgie of In It For The Long Run. Although she’s not an RD, she is a fitness-loving health nut just like myself and we share similar life and blog philosophies! Let me just stop right here to say that if you haven’t checked out her blog yet, you must do so immediately. She takes drool-worthy photos, writes tons of helpful blog posts and is an Instagram champion. Like seriously. She even wrote an ebook about it. Go check it out.
So Georgie and I will be your hosts for this year’s Elf4Health Challenge.
Another big change this year is that we’re going sponsor-free! There are several reasons for that decision but the main one is that i think it’s a good opportunity to re-center the challenge and put the focus solely on making your holidays healthier and happier, which is why it was created in the first place, instead of getting caught up in money, prizes, etc.
So there will be no sponsors, no prize packs, no specific winners. It’s all about doing something healthy and positive for yourself and those around you.
There will still be daily challenges and a positive and supportive FB group. And you’ll still have the option to be matched up with elf or participate on your own. We think it’ll be a lot of fun and we hope you’ll join us by participating in the daily challenges and using the #elf4health hashtag.
Here are all the details about what the challenge entails and how to sign up!
Introducing the Elf for Health Holiday Challenge! This is a four week challenge that will run from the November 23rd thru December 20th. The challenges fall into 4 different categories: Food, Fitness, For You & For Others. There will be daily tasks, weekly newsletters and a private Facebook community.
And are you ready for the best part? You’ll have an elf to support and encourage you if you’d like! When you sign up, you can choose whether you’d like to be paired with a partner to swap ideas and support with, or participate in the challenges on your own. Over the course of the challenge, you can have two different elves.
Sounds like a great way to stay motivated and meet new people over the holidays doesn’t it?! Since this challenge is internet based,anyone can participate… no matter where you’re located! All you need is access to the internet and an email address.
So what does an Elf do?
As an Elf, you are expected to support your assigned buddy with their holiday health goals and the daily challenges. Elves & buddies will be reassigned after 2 weeks so that hopefully you get to meet 2 new people!
You are only asked to email your buddy 2 times per week:
- Monday: Send your buddy an email to help them with the challenges for that week. Ideas of things to include/attach: your own personal tips & tricks, inspiring words and/or images, a new, healthy recipe or workout to try.
- Thursday – Saturday: Any time during these days, check in with your buddy! For example, ask them if they tried a new recipe, workout, or had fun with any certain challenges. Feel free to tell them how you did with your challenges, too!
- Anything more than those 2 emails is up to you but feel free to go above and beyond this to show your support! Just a few ideas: send your buddy Tweets, shout outs on our Facebook Page, email a fun workout you liked or send a hand-written recipe or note.
- Friday, November 20th at 11:59pm EST: sign up deadline
- Sunday, November 22nd: Round 1 Elf assignments emailed
- Monday, November 23rd – Sunday, December 6th: Round 1
- Friday December 4th at 11:59pm EST: Round 2 signup deadline
- Sunday, December 6th: Round 2 Elf assignments emailed
- Monday, December 7th – Sunday, December 20th: Round 2
*If you missed the initial sign up deadline, you can still participate:
Sign up before December 4th for Round 2
Not clear about something? Email Lindsay or Georgie!
So, you’re probably wondering what the daily challenges are, right? Here’s a nice square image that you can save on the lock screen of your phone to remind you of the challenges!
We’ve added the challenges to a google calendar for your convenience and we’ll expand even more on the challenges in each weekly newsletter.
We hope you’ll join us!