I have another successful recipe to share with you tonight, but before I get started everyone should go check out my guest post on my new friend Kelly’s blog The Gouda Life. I shared an AWESOME bread recipe: Super Simple Dutch Oven Bread. After you read about the bread, bookmark it immediately. Then spend some time exploring the rest of Kelly’s blog. She takes amazing food photos! Then come back here to read about my nuggets. THEN go make some bread 🙂
So now that’s you’re drooling, let’s get back to the nugs. Even though I had a whole menu (that I was really excited about) planned out for the week, I’ve found myself deviating from said menu for the past two nights. But you know what…it’s my kitchen and I do what I want 🙂 The nice thing about making the menus is that I have all of the ingredients on hand, but I can pretty much make the meals in whatever order I want to!
Tonight, I was planning on making herb-stuffed chicken…but yesterday, this awesome idea popped into my head! Wait for it….Cheese Stuffed Chicken Nuggets! You can go ahead and call me brilliant.
Some of you may recall the last time I made chicken nuggets (click here to see), to go in my mashed potato bowls. The hubby loved them! Tonight, I decided to kick them up a notch by adding a little bit of cheese. (*Side note: I made these a little bigger than normal chicken nuggets to give me room to add the cheese).
Watch and learn:
I bought really thick chicken breasts because I was originally planning to leave them whole and stuff them, so that made it easy to cut them into big nuggets. After you cut them, use your knife to cut a slit in the side. Then stuff a little bit of cheese into the slit!
Next up, the breading. I use a mix of panko and regular breadcrumbs for stuff like this. I like panko better, but I feel like the regular kind helps fill in the spaces between the bigger panko crumbs. That may or may not actually happen. I buy plain crumbs and season them myself. Tonight I used McCormicks, paprika, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. Squeeze each nugget together to keep the cheese in, dip in egg and then coat in breadcrumbs.
Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Flip them over after 10 minutes. (*Sidenote: I got really excited when I flipped mine over because the cheese wasn’t coming out the side…but alas, it was just because it wasn’t hot enough yet. After 20 minutes, they looked more like this:
Dinner came together at this point with a little applesauce and some bbq sauce.
The nuggets were a big hit again with the hubby! Give them a try and let me know what you think!
Cheesy Chicken Nuggets
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Keywords: bake entree chicken cheese
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 slices reduced-fat pepperjack cheese
- 1 1/2 c panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 c regular breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp McCormick’s seasoning
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 egg
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Cut chicken into nugget-sized pieces.
3. Cut a slit in the side of each nugget (don’t cut all the way through).
4. Break slices of cheese into small pieces and stuff a couple pieces into each slit.
5. Crack the egg into a bowl and whisk.
6. On a plate, combine breadcrumbs, panko and spices. Stir to combine.
7. Dip each nugget into egg wash and then into the breadcrumb mixture. Pinch closed so the cheese doesn’t fall out!
8. Place nuggets on a baking sheet (line with foil or use a silpat).
9. Bake for 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Flip nuggets after 10 minutes.
10. Serve with ketchup or bbq sauce for dipping
What’s the best thing you’ve made this week?