Time for another Quick Tip Thursday. Today we’re chatting about chickpeas. Specifically roasted chickpeas. Quite honestly, I’m not totally crazy about chickpeas straight out of a can. Turn them into hummus and you’ve got my attention. Stick them in the oven and roast them so they turn into tiny little crunchy puffs of deliciousness and consider me pretty much addicted.
I’ve been battling with roasted chickpeas for the past couple years. No matter how hard I tried, I could never seem to make them without burning some. I tried all sorts of oven temperatures, cooking times, etc to no avail. Well, my friends, I’ve finally unlocked the secret. And believe it or not, it came about because I was in a hurry to get to yoga! I didn’t have time to wait for the oven to preheat so I just put them in while the oven was still cold. I left them in as long as I could, which ended up being 45 min, then I turned off the oven and ran out the door. When I came home 90 minutes later, I discovered perfectly roasted chickpeas!
So here are you directions:
1. Rinse the chickpeas and put them on a baking sheet. Pat them dry with a paper towel and then let them sit and dry some more for about half an hour.
2. Mist with olive oil and season with desired spices- I use cayenne pepper and paprika usually.
3. Put the pan in the oven BEFORE you turn the oven on.
4. Turn the oven on to 425 degrees and roast them for 45 minutes, stirring every 10 min or so.
5. Shut the oven off and leave them in there for about an hour and a half*
6. Transfer to container and enjoy!
*If you leave to go somewhere they can stay in there longer than that because the oven will just keep getting colder.
PS…If you haven’t added roasted chickpeas to your homemade trailmix…you haven’t lived